Chapter 218 Newsletter - April 2011

Post your chapter's newsletters, events and information here. Or send it to boardman@vvacalsc.com and it will get posted here.
boardman
Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

Chapter 218 Newsletter - April 2011

#1 Postby boardman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am

SERVING VETERANS AND THE COMMUNITY SINCE 1985

HTTP://WWW.VVACHAPTER218.ORG

Veterans Memorial Building
VVA CHAPTER 218
112 W Cabrillo Blvd
SANTA BARBARA, CA. 93101

April 2011

Publisher/Editor: John Selfridge (johnselfridge218@hotmail.com)

The Santa Barbara Chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America is a tax exempt, non-profit, community service organization. Our members are Vietnam era (you need not have served “in country”) Veterans and associates (individuals from all walks of life who may or may not have served in the military). Our Chapter is successful because of the efforts of Vietnam Veterans, Vietnam Era Veterans, and associates, all of whom are equally welcomed and prized.

The Chapter meets the second Tuesday of every month at the Veterans Memorial Building at 112 W. Cabrillo Boulevard at 6:00 P. M. The meetings usually last around an hour. Several members usually go out for an informal dinner afterwards. (Individual checks)

Definition of a veteran: A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." (Author unknown)

Acronym: “Dear John": That letter from the girl you left behind telling you that she wasn't lonesome for you anymore. Some other guy had convinced her not to wait for you...

UP COMING EVENTS

Fourth of July parade with helicopter.
Fiesta and all that Fiesta booth entails
Moving wall placed on East Beach including the foundation setup and removal.
Veterans Day parade with flyover and all the extras.

These are all great reasons for all of us to be sure our chapter shirts are correct.

FROM THE PRESIDENT

Hello, 218!
I couldn't be more pleased with the progressive changes that our Chapter seems to be experiencing. We have become a more reasonable place to be. Just like that. You spoke up
about it, and you reinvented the way we get along. Congratulations, it's working!
The huge news is that the Committees are alive and well at 218! Chaplain Pattie Murdy and crew's efforts are starting to be felt by the local Homeless population. Generating
excitement about helping others is a really upbeat thing. I'm impressed with that group. Nothing puts your own problems into perspective better than ignoring them for a while to help somebody else.
The Wall Committee is making excellent progress. We may have more help for this from other local paramilitary organizations than we have ever experienced before. From the ROTC to the Boy Scouts, we better brace ourselves to be in a new operating mode - sharing the load with others. The respect that these other organizations are showing us by voicing their desire to be with us is truly humbling. I have never felt that my country was proud of me until I chance to meet folks like this.
They are straightening ME out! This Wall stands to be a great blessing not only to us, but to each INDIVIDUAL who visits it. We must train diligently to be ready to assist all who show up. There is a huge mass of pain in our country, and our experience at The Wall has the potential of helping to heal it. Be Prepared!
MUCH is being discussed in relation to the Veterans Memorial Building. Another iteration of the building redesign has been presented to the Veterans Coordinating Council. We are going to have Marge Beavers coming to our next meeting and I will ask her to voice her concerns. We shall also ask the Architect to come do the same. The VCC is asking each and every Veterans organization to poll their Membership on the suitability of this design. After the presentations, we will cast a vote to see where 218 stands on this critical issue. The Membership will decide!
My confidence in 218 is higher than it has ever been. I am proud to be a Member of this Chapter. I hope my conduct as President always reflects that in your eyes.

SGT Hap

FROM THE VICE PRESIDENT

Follow here my first humbly submitted column after the latest elections to you fine members of 218 from your kinder, gentler by request First Vice President.
First things first....I thank you again for your confidence and your votes. That sincerely being said,.....I wish to thank all those who have and are finding out found out how good a Chapter meeting used to and can be. We continue to get more members attending lately and this is ALLways good!!!! There is a new buzz (read: direction) that Hap started and continues. That of civility. Please if you haven't, come to the meetings and find out of which I speak. Notice....no begging, cajoling, threatening or anything of the sort. A new me. I'm actually here and now apologizing to anyone who didn't deserve yet had to hear my "special way" (as I've been told) about caring about this Chapter. My style can use some honing, I admit, but for those who have known me from the beginning of the Chapter....whatcha see is whatcha get especially when certain buttons are pushed. But I promise to work on that.

Moving on....and I don't know which one of the two next things I'm going to call to your attention is more important so I'll say they're EQUALLY important so please give it due attention. The new Board met for the first time last Tuesday. Please come see and hear at a meeting what rewards this Chapter will reap this year with your continued support. EsPECially what great work the Wall Committe has done/is doing. And Veterans day (11-11-11) will be HUGE as well right after The Wall is here. Moreover, part of this aforementioned support as your representative to the VVC (Veterans Coordinating Committee) is to know how you feel about the saving or losing the Veterans Building and the different ideas/plans/strategies involved. The only way (unless both parties have an open debate and Q&A session with all concerned or interested Veterans groups which I don't see in the works) is to be at the meeting April 12th where both sides will present (supposedly/hopefully for the final time) their plans. Expect a lively debate and then afterwards there will be a final vote taken to present to the Council. PLEASE be there. Let's end this crap (OH...sorry...kindler, gentler). "stuff".

Last thing and NOTHing to do with Chapter business, a request (please forgive me)....If any of members know ANYone who needs a brand new power washer, diesel or gas generator, or very big and small air compressor, please let me know. I won these and just want very little what I had to pay for them back. Give me a call at the store at 805-477-0083 or 805-965-2161. Thank you
Now back to regular programming. See you at the meeting. With a new sign (you'll see. LOL)
Forward and Onward, Proudly Serving
Dennis

FOR THE GOOD OF THE CHAPTER
Update Report on Homeless Veterans Project
Our donations for the months of March and April have been made possible by our members: Dave Bianchi, Hazel Blankenship & Friends, Madeline Moreaux, & Pattie Murdy.
This is just a gentle reminder to continue bringing in your useable clothing for homeless veterans. The shelter in Santa Barbara is in need of sweatshirts (hoodie) athletic shoes in larger sizes, long sleeve shirts and denim jeans. I will wash and/or repair the donated items.
Casa Esperanza is in need of Hygiene Kits filled with shaving supplies, shampoos, bath soap, and deodorant. All should be new and in full size. They do not need the smaller travel sizes nor do they need the Costco sizes.
A request has come in from the Veterans Counseling Center in Ventura. They are in need of non-perishable foods in cans, boxes, packages, etc. Items needed are: cereals, rice, beans, canned fruits & vegetables, cereal bars, crackers, dried fruits and nuts.
At our last meeting our members were provided with Ziploc bags for the hygiene items and paper shopping bags for the non-perishable foods.
Delivery date for these items is scheduled for mid-April.
My heartfelt thanks goes out to all members who have embraced this project and continue to support it on a monthly basis.
Pattie Murdy, Chaplain

EMAIL MIA’S (bounce back because of bad e-mail addresses)

If ANY body knows the e-mail addresses of the following members or want this newsletter e-mailed to you please let me know at (johnselfridge218@hotmail.com)

xxxx

Board Of Directors (Refreshed Every April)

Hap DeSimone, Pres. (SGTHAP218@yahoo.com)
(Army E-5 SGT Second Field Force, Long Binh, `69-`70)
Dennis Hartman, 1st Vice-President
(USAF E-5 Aircraft Crew Chief Bien Hoa, Da Nang `69 - `71)
Domingo Nuñez, 2nd Vice-President
(Army E-4 Reconnaissance Delta`69.)
Melinda Bie, Recording Secretary
Gerry Roberson/ Domingo Nunez, Treasurer
William Frieburg, Master at Arms
Board Members:
William Frieburg, Director
(Army E-4 Small Arms Repair Germany ’68 - ’70)
Don Matter, Director
John Selfridge, Director
USNR-R (E-3 v-3 division CVA-43)
Hazel Blankenship, Director
Charlie Franco, Director
(Army E-5 Combat Engineer Delta - My Tho`68 - `69)

California State Council Representative: Hap DeSimone
Alternate: Craig Taylor (USMC E-5 Helicopter Structural Mechanic & Door Gunner Phu Bai ’65 - ’67)
Santa Barbara Veterans Coordinating Council Representative: Board Member Designate
Membership Chairman: Dennis Hartman (805-965-2162) or (805-477-0083)
Chaplain: Patricia Murdy (life member)
Veterans Affairs Coordinator: Joseph Narkevitz (Army E-5 3rd Field Hospital, Saigon ’68)
PTSD & Agent Orange Coordinator: Hap DeSimone (962-5765)
Memorabilia: Is available at chapter meetings and at chapter events

Vance Memorial Fund
The Chapter’s Vance Committee distributes funds ($39,994 thru 01/11) to qualified disabled American veterans. Committee is refreshed every April.

John Kerr (Chairman) (Cambodianred@gmail.com) Ben Oroz
Madeline Moreaux Gerry Roberson
Fred Golin Dennis Hartman
William Stewart Don Matter
John Selfridge Patricia Murdy

Thank you for serving our country.
John Selfridge
Tom
Boardman & Webmaster
"See You On The Other Side"
8)

Return to “CSC Chapter News”