Chapter 218 - Recon Report, December 2010

Post your chapter's newsletters, events and information here. Or send it to boardman@vvacalsc.com and it will get posted here.
boardman
Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

Chapter 218 - Recon Report, December 2010

#1 Postby boardman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:44 am

SERVING VETERANS AND THE COMMUNITY SINCE 1985

HTTP://WWW.VVACHAPTER218.ORG

Veterans Memorial Building
VVA CHAPTER 218
112 W Cabrillo Blvd
SANTA BARBARA, CA. 93101

December 2010

Publisher/Editor: John Selfridge (johnselfridge218@hotmail.com)

The Santa Barbara Chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America is a tax exempt, non-profit, community service organization. Our members are Vietnam era (you need not have served “in country”) Veterans and associates (individuals from all walks of life who may or may not have served in the military). Our Chapter is successful because of the efforts of Vietnam Veterans, Vietnam Era Veterans, and associates, all of whom are equally welcomed and prized.

The Chapter meets the second Tuesday of every month at the Veterans Memorial Building at 112 W. Cabrillo Boulevard at 6:00 P. M. The meetings usually last around an hour. Several members usually go out for an informal dinner afterwards. (Individual checks)

Definition of a veteran: A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." (Author unknown)

Acronym:

UP COMING EVENTS

Christmas Dinner is December 14 at 18:00 an accurate head count is needed as soon as possible.

FROM THE PRESIDENT

Hello 218!

It's time to work up your appetite for good food and good conversation with your VVA friends! We will be having our annual Christmas dinner (meeting) at Jill Shalhoob's restaurant at 632 Santa Barbara Street. It's at the regular date and time...

Our meeting is the second Tuesday (the 14th) at 6 PM. Dress is casual. You will see a few ties and sport coats, but they are not required. Having a good time is. John Kerr has kindly agreed to man a table at the entrance for those who have not yet paid. Please treat him kindly! He'd probably prefer to be at the party! If you can pay earlier, it would ease that load, but we have no more meetings till then, so have your check ready at the door.

The price to you is $25 per person. The Chapter will kick in the other $25 per person to pay for the dinner. You will get a desert, but no drinks. Those are extra. I always feel free to tip the waiter, too!

The problem is that we have not gotten a very accurate count of those who will be breaking bread with us. To make it easier for all, Gerry has volunteered to act as clearing house for the reservations. Call him AS SOON AS YOU CAN DECIDE IF YOU ARE GOING! His phone number is 689-3750. If you can't get hold of Gerry, send me back an email. But do it SOON!

Due to my own mistakes, we did not vote on a list for Member of the Year. We therefore did not get ballots for the Member of the Year out in time to get them returned. Please blame me for this outrageous turn of events. I guess that my qualities as President are very limited. We will continue our tradition of having a Member of the Year next year, but have just run out of time to do it this season. I'm sorry.

We are planning a few SHORT presentations at the dinner meeting. We will try to keep it interesting, informative and relevant. Even to our guests. Look forward also to a small bit of ceremony as well.

I am also calling on all of you to put in your two cents regarding where you want 218 to go. All Members should have a say in the future health of their Chapter, and in its direction.

I hope you call Gerry soon. We would really like to give Shallhoob's a good count.

Thanks see you at dinner!

SGT Hap

FROM THE VICE PRESIDENT

Good members of 218....end of the year already??? As much as I seriously don't know if this is the last Recon Report before January's meeting, I seriously don't know what to write.

I know I have been asked to change how I write. Noted.
I know that the Year End Award/Recognition Dinner at Shalhoob's will be a time we can and hopefully will all take a bath, change underwear, and put clean clothes for the fairer sex (DEFinely LOL) and have a night of camaraderie with the best members of any Chapter in the VVA organization. Be there or be square!!!!
I know if you need ANY Chapter memorabilia that night for really kewl Christmas presents or just to get ready for the 2011 you need to please let me know so I can have them ready for you.
I know that we need new ideas for 2011 and beyond so PLEASE develop them for Chapter involvement or direction. We need a new Treasurer and Secretary, too, so get your heads together and produce some good ideas. I personally have three that I hope will be accepted. We DEFinetly need more Chapter activities not only for ourselves but for the Veterans and Community we serve.
I know I'll see you at Shalhoob's and the probably LONG but hopefully result oriented meeting in January. If I don't for some reason, Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!!

Forward and Onward, Proudly Serving
Dennis

EDITORAL COMMENT
XXX

FOR THE GOOD OF THE CHAPTER
XXX

EMAIL MIA’S (bounce back because of bad e-mail addresses)

If ANY body knows the e-mail addresses of the following members or want this newsletter e-mailed to you please let me know at (johnselfridge218@hotmail.com)

xxxx

Board Of Directors (Refreshed Every April)

Hap DeSimone, Pres. (SGTHAP218@yahoo.com)
(Army E-5 SGT Second Field Force, Long Binh, `69-`70)
Dennis Hartman, 1st Vice-President
(USAF E-5 Aircraft Crew Chief Bien Hoa, Da Nang `69 - `71)
Domingo Nuñez, 2nd Vice-President
(Army E-4 Reconnaissance Delta`69.)
Gerry Roberson, Recording Secretary
John Kerr, Treasurer (805-680-5624)
(Army E-4 Door Gunner Tay Ninh, Bien Hoa‘70 - ‘72)
Board Members:
William Frieburg, Director
(Army E-4 Small Arms Repair Germany ’68 - ’70)
Keith Perkins, Director
(USMC E-5 Radar Technician Chu Lai `66)
Gerry Roberson, Director
Charlie Franco, Director
(Army E-5 Combat Engineer Delta - My Tho`68 - `69)

California State Council Representative: Hap DeSimone
Alternate: Craig Taylor (USMC E-5 Helicopter Structural Mechanic & Door Gunner Phu Bai ’65 - ’67)
Santa Barbara Veterans Coordinating Council Representative: Board Member Designate
Membership Chairman: Dennis Hartman (805-965-2162) or (805-477-0083)
Chaplain: John Parsons (USMC O-3 Combat Engineer Chu Lai ’65 - ’66)
Alternate Chaplain: Patricia Murdy (life member)
Veterans Affairs Coordinator: Joseph Narkovitz (Army E-5 3rd Field Hospital, Saigon ’68)
PTSD & Agent Orange Coordinator: Hap DeSimone (962-5765)
Memorabilia: Is available at chapter meetings and at chapter events

Vance Memorial Fund
The Chapter’s Vance Committee distributes funds ($39,078 thru 02/10) to qualified disabled American veterans. Committee is refreshed every April.

John Kerr (Chairman) (Cambodianred@gmail.com) Bill Griffin
Madeline Moreaux Gerry Roberson
George Ogle Dennis Hartman
William Stewart Don Matter
Keith Perkins Patricia Murdy
Robert LaPrad

Thank you for serving our country.
John Selfridge (E-3 V-3 division CVA-43)
Tom
Boardman & Webmaster
"See You On The Other Side"
8)

Return to “CSC Chapter News”