Chapter 218 Activity Report - October 2011

Post your chapter's newsletters, events and information here. Or send it to boardman@vvacalsc.com and it will get posted here.
boardman
Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

Chapter 218 Activity Report - October 2011

#1 Postby boardman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:14 am

Our Santa Barbara Chapter just finished bringing The Wall to the people of our city. Staffing it 24/7, we found a lot of Veterans who had trouble approaching it. Our early strategy was to train all who volunteered to work The Wall using Grief Counselors from a local Hospice. This was of great help, as there was a real wide variety of people who came. Proper decorum and a quiet, respectful nature were stressed and achieved. I know of at least one Viet Nam Veteran whom I knew in the Aerospace industry in the 70's who never let on that he was a Vet. He showed up one day and reintroduced himself to me. He came to our Chapter meeting, but was too shy to speak. This is after FORTY SOME YEARS!! I am thankful that we can provide small steps for the people who need to take them.

One benefit that I could not have forseen occurred when a few of us were interviewed on local radio stations. I felt that for the first time ever, I was able to speak to citizens with my own voice. To not have some Hollywood actor be pretending to be a Viet Nam Veteran, speaking for me. We were able to come inside people's homes who had never possibly discussed Viet Nam with anyone who had actually been there.

Many friendships were made, cemented, or rekindled at The Wall. We had many HUEYs scheduled for a Fly Over, and ALL OF THEM cancelled. We were blessed by our local Sheriff, who had a Jet Ranger (Kiowa) and they kindly made a tight pass and turn around the crowd at our mid day ceremony. Without their generosity to us, we would have had NO rotary winged aircraft in the sky above.

A candle light ceremony was held, and we were joined by the Youth Pastor from my church, a local Fire Chaplain, and a local Muslim Cleric. This was a time of importance, and many people were moved by this service.

The Wall event was handled and run by a committee, not by the Chapter Officers. This was the best run, most efficient, and most productive committee that I have ever seen in Santa Barbara. Letting Members do what they feel they can is a healthy thing for any Chapter, and has been a boon to ours. Morale is good at 218, and we now share another experience of hard work together.

We continue to enjoy lots of personal drama at 218, but most of our Members are feeling more like they are welcome here, and belong here. We have been blessed with the help of both the Ventura Vietnam Veterans, and our Guadalupe Chapter of 218. It was a fine experience to stand with these patriotic Citizen-Soldiers. Chapter 218 has gained immeasurably by bringing The Wall to our city.

Respectfully,

Hap DeSimone, President VVA 218 Santa Barbara
Tom
Boardman & Webmaster
"See You On The Other Side"
8)

Return to “CSC Chapter News”