Chapter 218 Newsletter - July 2011

Post your chapter's newsletters, events and information here. Or send it to boardman@vvacalsc.com and it will get posted here.
boardman
Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

Chapter 218 Newsletter - July 2011

#1 Postby boardman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 pm

SERVING VETERANS AND THE COMMUNITY SINCE 1985

HTTP://WWW.VVACHAPTER218.ORG

Veterans Memorial Building
VVA CHAPTER 218
112 W Cabrillo Blvd
SANTA BARBARA, CA. 93101

July 2011

Publisher/Editor: John Selfridge (johnselfridge218@hotmail.com)

The Santa Barbara Chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America is a tax exempt, non-profit, community service organization. Our members are Vietnam era (you need not have served “in country”) Veterans and associates (individuals from all walks of life who may or may not have served in the military). Our Chapter is successful because of the efforts of Vietnam Veterans, Vietnam Era Veterans, and associates, all of whom are equally welcomed and prized.

The Chapter meets the second Tuesday of every month at the Veterans Memorial Building at 112 W. Cabrillo Boulevard at 6:00 P. M. The meetings usually last around an hour. A light snack offered between 6:00 and 6:15. Members sometimes go out for an informal dinner afterwards. (Individual checks)

Definition of a veteran: A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." (Author unknown)

Acronym: BTDTBTTS = Been There, Done That, Bought The T-Shirt

UP COMING EVENTS

Fiesta and all that Fiesta booth work days Aug 3,4,5,6
Additional setup and tear down working parties.
Don will be calling for working commitments at the fiesta booth.
Commitment to work the booth or donations in the chapter box…
Moving wall placed on East Beach including the foundation setup and removal. September 28 to October 5
There is also needed commitment to help with hours at the wall…
Veterans Day parade with fly over and all the extras.
These are all great reasons for all of us to be sure our chapter shirts are correct.

FROM THE PRESIDENT

Hap seems to have gotten involved with some other issues and as a result I still need to get the Recon Report to bed for this month so that the members who receive it by snail mail will receive it before next Tuesday.

FROM THE VICE PRESIDENT

We're getting closer, members, we're getting closer.....to what??? Read on
Let me begin by saying even though I DID NOT make the drive to Santa Barbara for the parade the review overall from people that WERE there in the crowd is after a few blocks the Chapter looked GREAT overall. There were too many that didn't have the Chapter shirts and the helicopter was pretty dirty and the glass is crazed, but we looked good overall. I HOPE that there were people there to put the cover back on afterwards. There also seemed to be too many able bodies inside the chopper that should have/could have marched, but like I say....I wasn't there so this might or not be an area of concern, but if any of the 4th should be talked about it will be at the meeting..

The Chapter meetings are getting more safe and sane again, and if you haven't been lately, you haven't been. Hap has been letting these people that want to drag out the meetings pointlessly expose themselves to/for their true colors and the Chapter members have had enough. Now for some members to learn to be quiet read: to NOT just to hear yourself talk or talking loud during a meeting and we move on to better things. Fiesta next (PLEASE make sure you make the next meeting to prepare for it) and then The Wall in late Sept early October. Then the ever growing in importance and size 11-11-11 Parade and Activities.

A shout out to Gerry Roberson (aGAIN volunteering to do a job no other member would take on) for TRYing to straighten out the comPLETEly dysfunctional VCC at their last meeting. I'll let him tell you but he again proved HE can suffer fools as opposed to the writer. Good job, Gerry. It was indeed fun to watch, but MAN I wanted to yell out a coupl times (LOL)

Make sure you write your state and Federal "leaders" re: the VA property in West L.A. to remain for the Veterans instead of the land grabbers (or at the very least better VA management) AND to support our active and returning troops. My Msgt. son leaves for his 4th f(^$#@n tour to Afghanistan on the 17th so if not prayers, "pixie dust" would be extremely appreciated. Trust me...he had PTSD after his last tour. Chit. The good news??? 15 months and he has his 20.

Remember....If I don't have a copy of your DD Form 214 if you are NOT a life member, repeat: NOT a life member, you will not be able to vote at the meetings. My address is 1412 Tower Sq #2, Ventura Calif. 93003 or bring it to the meeting. We MUST have these on file or be in trouble with National, so consider yourselves served.

For what it's worth, I'll be gone from August 12th till the 15th. See you at the meeting on July 12th.

Forward and Onward, Proudly Serving,
Dennis

FOR THE GOOD OF THE CHAPTER

This link was brought to us by Big Bill Frieburg. This is well worth the watch. Editor

Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 982

JULY 4, 2011

Have a happy and safe 4th of July
Henry
Goodbye Viet Nam
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=AS ... ata_player
Send this to all the VietnamVets you know or to any one has served.

Homeless Veterans Clothing Project Update
June 2011

This past month has been a very busy one for our clothing drive project. On 15 June and 30 June over 25 bags of clean, usable clothing and shoes for men and women along with hygiene supplies and bedding were delivered to the grateful residents of Casa Esperanza.

On 19 June I was able to volunteer for the GIVE Project at Embarcadero del Norte that assisted several charities in Isle Vista area. This is otherwise known as the Giant USCB Yard Sale. There were several bags of clothing and shoes that were purchased and donated to our project.

My heartfelt appreciation goes out to those members and friends whose generosity has benefited our homeless veterans. Thank you to: Domingo Nunez, Patricia Rumpza, John & Hazel Blankenship, the Levine Family, Marge Beavers, Madeline Moreaux, and Pattie Murdy.

Thank you again for your continued support.

Pattie Murdy, Chaplain

EMAIL OPTION:

If ANY body wants this newsletter e-mailed to you please let me know at (johnselfridge218@hotmail.com)

Board Of Directors (Refreshed Every April)

Hap DeSimone, Pres. (SGTHAP218@yahoo.com)
(Army E-5 SGT Second Field Force, Long Binh, `69-`70)
Dennis Hartman, 1st Vice-President
(USAF E-5 Aircraft Crew Chief Bien Hoa, Da Nang `69 - `71)
Domingo Nuñez, 2nd Vice-President
(Army E-4 Reconnaissance Delta`69.)
Melinda Bie, Recording Secretary
Gerry Roberson/ Domingo Nunez, Treasurer
William Frieburg, Master at Arms
Board Members:
William Frieburg, Director
(Army E-4 Small Arms Repair Germany ’68 - ’70)
Don Matter, Director
John Selfridge, Director
USNR-R (E-3 v-3 division CVA-43)
Hazel Blankenship, Director
Charlie Franco, Director
(Army E-5 Combat Engineer Delta - My Tho`68 - `69)

California State Council Representative: Hap DeSimone
Alternate: Craig Taylor (USMC E-5 Helicopter Structural Mechanic & Door Gunner Phu Bai ’65 - ’67)
Santa Barbara Veterans Coordinating Council Representative: Board Member Designate
Membership Chairman: Dennis Hartman (805-965-2162) or (805-477-0083)
Chaplain: Patricia Murdy (life member)
Veterans Affairs Coordinator: Joseph Narkevitz (Army E-5 3rd Field Hospital, Saigon ’68)
PTSD & Agent Orange Coordinator: Hap DeSimone (962-5765)
Memorabilia: Is available at chapter meetings and at chapter events

Vance Memorial Fund
The Chapter’s Vance Committee distributes funds ($39,994 thru 01/11) to qualified disabled American veterans. Committee is refreshed every April.

John Kerr (Chairman) (Cambodianred@gmail.com) Dan Oroz
Madeline Moreaux Gerry Roberson
Fred Golin Dennis Hartman
William Stewart Don Matter
John Selfridge Patricia Murdy

Thank you for serving our country.
John Selfridge
Tom
Boardman & Webmaster
"See You On The Other Side"
8)

Return to “CSC Chapter News”