News from the California Department of Veterans Affairs "News For Veterans."
boardman
Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

Gov. Schwarzenegger Issues State of Emergency Due to Cold

#1 Postby boardman » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:47 pm

NEWS FROM THE CALIFORNIA GOVERNOR’S OFFICE

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger today issued the following emergency proclamation:

GOV. SCHWARZENEGGER PROCLAIMS STATE OF EMERGENCY DUE TO EXTREME LOW TEMPERATURES

PROCLAMATION OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY

WHEREAS conditions of extreme peril to the safety of persons and property exist throughout the State of California as a result of extreme low temperatures and freezing conditions beginning on January 11, 2007 and continuing; and

WHEREAS the National Weather Service is projecting extremely cold weather for an extended period of time throughout California; and

WHEREAS in anticipation of unusually cold temperatures forecast throughout much of California in the coming days, I have directed state agencies to activate the extreme temperature protocols established last year to assist the most vulnerable populations in the state and asked local governments and the people of California to take common sense precautions in the unseasonably cold weather; and

WHEREAS severe cold weather conditions have historically created conditions of extreme peril to those living in the affected areas; including, health impacts to the medically fragile and homeless; substantial financial damage to the agricultural crops and to the industry that supports agriculture; and, economic impact to the people who work in the agricultural industry; and

WHEREAS the circumstances of this situation, by reason of their magnitude, are likely to be beyond the control of the services, personnel, equipment, and facilities of any single county, city and county, or city and require the combined forces of a mutual aid to combat region or regions to combat; and

WHEREAS some California counties have declared a local state of emergency due to the extreme low temperatures and freezing conditions.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER, Governor of the State of California, find that conditions of extreme peril to the safety of persons and property exist throughout the state resulting from these severe weather conditions and that local authority is inadequate to cope with this situation.  Accordingly, under the authority of the California Emergency Services Act, set forth at Title 2, Division 1, Chapter 7 of the California Government Code, commencing with section 8550, I hereby proclaim that a State of Emergency exists in California.

I HEREBY DIRECT all agencies of the state government to utilize and employ state personnel, equipment and facilities for the performance of any and all necessary activities to alleviate this emergency as directed by my Office of Emergency Services and in accordance with the State Emergency Plan.

I FURTHER DIRECT that the Director of the Office of Emergency Services activate the California Disaster Assistance Act to provide supplemental financial support for local government.

I FURTHER DIRECT the following:

The California Department of Health Services, the California Department of Social Services, and CaliforniaVolunteers will work with local public health and social services agencies to provide support to those people who have difficulty escaping the freezing temperatures.

The California National Guard will open additional armories, as requested by local governments, as temporary warming facilities in communities for assistance through the Office of Emergency Services.

The California Department of Food and Agriculture, the California Department of Social Services, and CaliforniaVolunteers will work with local governments and nonprofit organizations to provide fair grounds as temporary warming facilities, as requested by local governments.

The Office of Emergency Services and the California Department of Health Services will conduct outreach programs to provide information to the public on how they can protect their families, homes, and pets from the freezing weather.

The California Highway Patrol will expand patrols to ensure the safety of motorists.

The California Department of Food and Agricultural will work with local agricultural commissioners and the agriculture industry to monitor the impact of the weather on crops and livestock.

The Office of Emergency Services and the California Department of Food and Agriculture will coordinate with the United States Department of Agriculture and United States Small Business Administration to assureappropriate financial relief is available.

The California Public Utilities Commission and the California Department of Community Services and Development will conduct outreach programs to provide information to the public about home heating and energy assistance programs.

I FURTHER DIRECT that as soon as hereafter possible, this proclamation be filed in the Office of the Secretary of State and that widespread publicity and notice be given of this proclamation.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 12th day of January 2007.

/S/________________________
ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER
Governor of California

ATTEST:
/S/________________________
DEBRA BOWEN
Secretary of State

California Department of Veterans Affairs

Veterans News

Jerry Jones
Jaime Arteaga
Legislation and Public Affairs