PEARL HARBOR REMEMBRANCE DAY, DECEMBER 7, 2006

News from the California Department of Veterans Affairs "News For Veterans."
boardman
Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

#1 Postby boardman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:35 am

On Sunday morning, December 7, 1941 at approximately 8:00. a.m., the Japanese Imperial Navy attacked Pearl Harbor, on the Island of Oahu, Hawaii, (then a territory of the United States).  Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto had conceived the surprise attack.  Commander Mitsuo Fuchida led the striking force of 353 Japanese aircraft.  There had been no formal declaration of war.  Approximately 100 ships of the U.S. Navy were present that morning, consisting of battleships, destroyers, cruisers and various support ships.  Over half the U.S. Pacific fleet was out to sea, including the carriers.  Simultaneously, nearby Hickam Field was also the victim of the surprise attack by the Japanese.  18 Army Air corps aircraft including bombers and fighters and attack bombers were destroyed or damaged on the ground.  A few U.S. fighters struggled into the air against the invaders and gave a good account of themselves.  Ground fire and U.S. pilots from various military installations on Oahu shot down a total of twenty-nine Japanese aircraft.  http://my.execpc.com/~dschaaf/mainmenu.html

In honor of this day, U.S. President Bush and California Governor Schwarzenegger have issued proclamations encouraging all U.S. citizens to acknowledge and honor the heroic efforts of our military men and women (many of whom lost their lives) who defended our country on that day 65 years ago.

National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, 2006
A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America
Sixty-­five years ago, more than 2,400 Americans lost their lives in a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor. On National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, we think of those who died on December 7, 1941, and honor all those who sacrificed for our liberty during World War II.

On that peaceful Sunday morning, our country suffered a vicious, unprovoked attack that changed the course of history. Though our Pacific Fleet was nearly destroyed, our citizens were inspired by the great acts of heroism from those who survived and from those who did not. In the days that followed, our grief turned to resolution, and America embarked on a mission to defeat two of the most ruthless regimes the world has ever known. We pledge to always remember the character and sacrifice of the brave individuals at Pearl Harbor. Their selfless service helped deliver a great victory for the cause of freedom and, ultimately, transformed adversaries into the closest of friends.

After the devastating attacks on Pearl Harbor, President Franklin D. Roosevelt declared, "We are going to win the war and we are going to win the peace that follows." In the 21st century, freedom is again under attack, and young Americans have stepped forward to serve in a global war on terror that will secure our liberty and determine the destiny of millions around the world. Like generations before, we will answer history's call with confidence, confront threats to our way of life, and build a more peaceful world for our children and grandchildren.

The Congress, by Public Law 103-308, as amended, has designated December 7 of each year as "National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim December 7, 2006, as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. I encourage all Americans to observe this solemn occasion with appropriate ceremonies and activities. I urge all Federal agencies, interested organizations, groups, and individuals to fly the flag of the United States at half staff this December 7 in honor of those who died as a result of their service at Pearl Harbor.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-first.

GEORGE W. BUSH
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 201-6.html

December 7, 2006, as “Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day”
PROCLAMATION by the Governor of the State of California

Sixty-five years ago, our nation endured a devastating attack that claimed the lives of more than 2,400 Americans.  Those stationed at Pearl Harbor rushed into action as gunfire and explosions shattered the Sunday morning calm of December 7, 1941.  Putting duty before their own safety, many risked their lives – and many gave their lives – to defend their comrades and the United States Pacific Fleet.  We gather today in remembrance of the victims and the survivors.

Although wounds have healed between nations, I recognize that no amount of time will ever be enough to heal the pain inflicted by the loss of fallen friends.  To those who have come today to pay tribute to the dead, I salute your dedication to the memories of these true American heroes.  Our country’s resolve arose from the smoke and tears of that long-ago December morning and carried our nation to victory.  Today, that resolve continues to protect our liberty, and is the heritage of all who wear the uniform.

I urge all Californians to express proper gratitude to those who served, fought, lived and died in Pearl Harbor sixty-five years ago.  Their sacrifices – and the sacrifices of those who continue to defend our liberties at home and abroad – will never be forgotten.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim December 7, 2006, as “Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.”

IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have here unto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 4th day of December 2006.

ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER
http://gov.ca.gov/index.php?/print-vers ... tion/4854/

California Department of Veterans Affairs

Veterans News

Jerry Jones
Jaime Arteaga
Legislation and Public Affairs
916-653-2192
Fax 916-653-2611
December 6, 2006

NEWS FROM THE CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

Tom